兔子先生

Trending Topics

Fire chiefs launch new paramedic program after N.H. hospital ends ALS service

The new plan, led by the Plaistow Fire Department, mirrors the former ALS service with additional benefits, including cost savings and enhanced training

PlaistowFireRescueEMS.jpg

Plaistow Fire Department ambulances.

Plaistow Fire Rescue EMS/Facebook

PLAISTOW, N.H. 鈥 When Beth Israel Lahey Health Exeter Hospital announced in September 2024 that it would discontinue its paramedic intercept service that month, fire chiefs across the Seacoast region acted quickly to address the potential public health crisis.

Prior to shuttering the service, the facility had provided advanced life support for over three decades, serving an area with nearly 100,000 residents across Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

The announcement raised immediate concerns for the Seacoast Chief Officers Mutual Aid District (SCFOMAD), which represents 53 communities in the region. Chief William McQuillen, SCFOMAD president, assembled a task force of local fire chiefs, officials and EMS experts to find a sustainable solution.

Over 10 weeks, the group collaborated with local, state and county officials, private organizations and the New Hampshire Attorney General鈥檚 office, SCFOMAD said in a news release.

The group evaluated proposals from five organizations, ultimately selecting a municipal regional plan led by the Plaistow Fire Department under Chief Chris Knutsen, SCFOMAD said. The approved plan mirrors the paramedic intercept services previously offered but also includes improvements, including:

  • Enhanced training: Aggressive training programs and advanced certifications for paramedics
  • Continuous education: Hundreds of EMS instructional hours provided to contracted towns by clinical educators
  • Cost savings: The program is projected to save approximately $900,000 annually compared to the next lowest proposal

Beth Israel Lahey Health Exeter Hospital agreed to postpone the discontinuation until March 2025, providing time for the new plan鈥檚 implementation, according to SCFOMAD. The hospital has also donated intercept vehicles, equipment and $2 million in funding to support the transition. Additionally, the William H. Donner Foundation contributed significant financial support to offset startup and operational costs.

The new paramedic intercept service is set to launch on March 21, 2025, ensuring uninterrupted advanced medical care for the region, SCFOMAD said.

Trending
Minneapolis Police say the shooter opened fire through church windows toward the children sitting in the pews during school Mass before dying at the scene
Hennepin EMS official said the police鈥檚 swift, accurate tally of victims let medics move the wounded quickly to three hospitals
Addressing Sioux City Fire Rescue, the 鈥淏lack Hawk Down鈥 surgeon said only 2 % of U.S. rigs carry blood
Monarez was fired less than a month after refusing to back 鈥渦nscientific, reckless directives,鈥 as four other senior CDC leaders resigned in protest

Sarah Roebuck is the news editor for Police1, Corrections1, FireRescue1 and 兔子先生, leading daily news coverage. With nearly a decade of digital journalism experience, she has been recognized for her expertise in digital media, including being sourced in .

A graduate of Central Michigan University with a broadcast and cinematic arts degree, Roebuck joined Lexipol in April 2023. Have a news tip? Email her at news@lexipol.com or connect on .